Does it feel like a joke to you? This whole thing is like a weird dream.
He can't be real. It's all just so cheesy.
That being said, I'm in the middle of watching the Nation Under Siege video, courtesy of StreamingFaith.com and the good Bishop. I might even attend a rally and try and score the actual DVD.
The thing is, I tend to agree with the social problems he discusses, I just don't think he's the cure. In fact, in some way, I see him as contributing to a new set of problems.
Charlatan? Who can say. Only history will determine that.
Some thoughts on the video:
1) "I want to reiterate ... this is not ... out of personal political gain"
Yuhuh, sure it's not. Let's just do a nationwide tour and produce a DVD about Politics, Liberal Leadership and immoral laws just before the election. Where is Christ? All I hear is politics.
2) "Helen Clark is a self professed agnostic, meaning that she doesn't believe there is a god"
Really? Is THAT what Agnostic meant, nice to know.
3) He makes some good points about Civil Unions et al. He points out that "writing submissions alone is not enough". Whatever can we do? Luckily this isn't a political DVD.
4) Hate speech legislation. Yeah, that stuff is no good. On the other hand, there'd be less arguing on Blogs ;)
5) "The Media are modern day witchcraft", "I mean this, the media is now the main source of perceptions in our society, true and false. Unfortunately, much of it is false and misleading."
Ok, that's probably true to Media form about the definition he uses, but I don't know where he gets "witchcraft" from. Naturally, he uses it to defend the way Destiny Church is getting slammed by the Media. Figures, I guess. At least we get to see the 'real' version of events via Tamaki-Cam.
Actually, it's funny how everything Tamaki says at the "enough is enough" rally is all purely political. What a coincidence. I'd almost think he was trying to achieve something politically, if I didn't know that all that stuff was solely the job of the Destiny PARTY, not Brian or his church.
6) I agree with Tamaki wholeheartedly about state-run television. It is getting pretty shocking. I think I remember Marge Simpson saying something like, "I think television has become soft porn so slowly that we never even noticed!"
7) The Retreat of Religion in NZ. Finally, he mentions Jesus! He does however only mention Jesus in making the argument that the church is the only vehicle for change in NZ. Really, when did Jesus say that?
Uh oh, more Church/State doctrine!
"The State should submit to the spiritual guidance of the Church"
And of course, says the video speaking of leadership in NZ, "if somebody is going to make decisions, surely it should be the people of God." But that doesn't really take into account those people that don't agree with what we think, which would be the original point of a democracy.
8) "The only place that the Christian community can express its concerns is at the polls." Ack! How is this not political?!
In summary, Brian explains how we should vote for him, er... I mean his Party.
Shameless, how shameless.
But, of course, "this is not a Destiny Church Party" as per the Media deception, I mean 'witchcraft'.
At least he had cool music. Nice base.